Wednesday, August 9, 2017

My Catalog of Spirals ...so far

I spent a few days last week organizing and making detailed drawings of the spirals I have created based on Tomoko Fuse's in her book Spirals. Here are the results. I have paired the sketches with the samples so you can see how they look folded. I hope you try one or a few. Let me know which one is your favorite. (Mine is #2.)

Enjoy!
1. Basic spiral.

2. My addition to the basic spiral. It makes a leaf shape that I like.

3. This combines two spirals and kind of looks like a ram's head when collapsed.

#3 Open


4. Long skinny trapezoid has more turns than the regular one.


5. This is a different spiral, based on Fuse's Naval shell with modifications by me.

6. Naval shell with a twist.

7 a & b. Variations on collapsing a spiral result in different effects. 
7a is locked in the closed position. 7b opens into a complex corkscrew shape.


8. Note that in this sample the  parallel lines are angles up slightly towards the center fold. This creates the openness in the center of the spiral. (see the picture below)










10 comments:

  1. Hello. Would you consider doing a video tutorial? The valley and mountain part confuses me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have the right equipment for making videos, but there is a similar one on YouTube you can check out here:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n1K_gKP_7Q
      Thank you for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete
  2. This is awesome I´ll try to use this for my architecture class thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do the different colours mean? is it for different ways of folding or cutting? thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your question. Red is for mountain folds and blue is for valley folds. It is a convention adopted by origami artists in place of the dash and dash dot lines.

      Delete
  4. Hi, thanks for getting back so quick before! I have tried the #3 spiral but have run into some problems. Should I cut out the page around he black outline? and how should I fold he center horizontal line?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is wonderful. Will try today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you soooo much u really help me who is struggling about college hw

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job and thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete