Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Variations on a Theme

My recent post The Road to Spring was pretty popular and I have been working on some variations on this book and structure ever since. The newest one is a story about my dad and his love of the night sky. I have also played with the bottom of the structure adding a sink fold so that the book can stand upright. Other variations include making smaller books and making it with 4 or 6 pages. I hope you like the pictures below and enjoy Companion Star. The first line of the story is: "Dad, like Plato, thought that every soul had a companion star to which it returned after death..."

I hope you enjoy these variations on a theme and create your own version as well.

-Gina

Companion Star , by Gina Pisello.


Companion Star has 4 pages instead of the 5 in The Road to Spring.


Bottom of the book.


Companion Star with the star pages removed to reveal the story.


Closeup of the text pages.


Top of 4 page variation.


Side view of 4 page variation showing flat base.


Bottom of 4 page variation showing sink folds. The inner blue pages have corresponding sink folds too.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Gina - What an amazing and great looking structure! I am dying to figure out how to fold it but I am typing this in an airstream trailer in Santa Barbara with no access to paper! I know there is a Paper Source store close to where we will be having dinner so wish me luck! Take care - Jade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jade, Thanks for the early morning laugh. I could just see you in the airstream wishing you had some paper in your hands. I hope you figure out the structure. I can show you samples of this too in October. See you soon and good luck.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete