Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Wednesday Post #6:Teaching the Modified Blizzard Fold at SDBA

Good day and welcome to my sixth post on Wednesday. Today I would like to share some pictures from a recent workshop I taught. It was lots of fun teaching a group of San Diego Book Arts members how to make a Hedi Kyle Blizzard Fold book. We then changed some of the folds to make a box structure that I developed several years ago. I call it the Modified Blizzard Fold. I have since discovered another modification that you are welcome to try as well. One of these days I will make a video of the folding process so stay tuned for that.

Please check out the pictures Joan Crone took of the group as we folded our books. It was a pleasure to teach and learn from everyone. Enjoy!

~Gina

 Here are some of the supplies we used to color and decorate our paper before folding.

 Yvonne is folding in the foreground while I sit back and explain the next fold.

 Sara and Sibyl are busy popping open their boxes.

 Britta inspects her work.

 Sara makes a box.

 Showing Pam how to get the box to "pop."

 Helping Kathy get the box to close properly.

 Pam and Sari look at the interaction of structure and design.

 Sibyl inspects her work.

Sara with her model fully open.

4 comments:

  1. These are great Gina. I'd love to come to the next workshop or did I miss it already?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bhavna. You are all signed up for the next class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gina - Was wondering if you would be holding another class specifically for this structure? Would love to learn how to do this! I have been folding stars lately, geometric balls, weird and crazy books. Love that I am learning new things! Hope you are doing well and that holidays are not driving you too crazy! Take care - Jade

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gina - Happy New Year! I persevered and ... success! I figured out how to pop out the boxes! Yay! BTW - I am trying to get Bill Hanscom to come out to teach at Book Arts LA this year. I am hoping the director and he can get together to put together a workshop. It will be wonderful if it happens. There is also a paper arts festival happening in Newport, OR. Unfortunately it is at the same time as Hedi's workshop at SFCB. If it is the same workshop as in Portland I will probably head to OR and check out her exhibit on the way back down. Gives me a great excuse to visit Mendocino again! Take care - Jade

    ReplyDelete